How many plant species are found in Ecuador?
GET ON ECUADOR’S GREEN SIDE
More than 10,000 different plant species grow in this region, and around one half of them are endemic. The Amazon, or Oriente, isn’t far behind with 8,200 species growing in that portion of the jungle.
Which plants flowers can you find only in Ecuador?
Flowers Native to Ecuador
- Passionflower. Passionflowers are native to Ecuador but grow at around 7,200 feet in the hot, tropical Ecuadorian climate. …
- Magnolias. A number of magnolias are native to Ecuador, including some that are significantly different from North American magnolias. …
What flowers grow in Ecuador?
The climate is conducive to growth of many species of flowers, including Asthromelias, Carnations, Chrysanthemums, Daisies, Limonium, Gypsophila (“Baby’s Breath”), Limonium and Liatris species and “Summer bloomers”. Tropical species like the Heliconia are grown in warm and humid areas of Ecuador.
What is the climate and vegetation of Ecuador?
Climate of Ecuador. Because Ecuador lies on the Equator, most of the country, except the Sierra, experiences a humid tropical climate. … Most of the country, however, is humid, receiving more than 20 inches of rain a year. The southern coast and the highlands receive 30 to 80 inches (760 to 2,000 mm).
What food is popular in Ecuador?
Ecuador Food and Drink
- Cuy: Roast guinea pig.
- Locro: Soup of potatoes, corn, cheese and avocado.
- Empanadas: Corn pasties stuffed with meat, cheese or vegetables.
- Llapingachos: Cheesy potato cakes.
- Seco de chivo: Goat stew usually served on special occasions.
- Ceviche: Raw seafood ‘cooked’ in lime and chilli.
What allows flowers to get tall and big in Ecuador?
What makes Ecuador so special? It’s the addition of the altitude. Thanks to farmlands located as much as 3,000 feet above sea level, roses are grown closer to the sun. This produces longer stems and larger blooms.